Re: pglogical_output - a general purpose logical decoding output plugin

From: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomasz Rybak <tomasz(dot)rybak(at)post(dot)pl>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pglogical_output - a general purpose logical decoding output plugin
Date: 2015-12-02 10:38:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I can't really do huge review considering I wrote half of the code, but
I have couple of things I noticed.

First, I wonder if it would be useful to mention somewhere, even if it's
only here in the mailing list how can the protocol be extended in
non-breaking way in future for transaction streaming if we ever get
that. I am mainly asking for this because the protocol does not
currently send xid for every change as it's not necessary, but for
streaming it will be. I know of couple of ways myself but I think they
should be described publicly.

The other thing is that I think we don't need the "forward_changesets"
parameter which currently decides if to forward changes that didn't
originate on local node. There is already hook for origin filtering
which provides same functionality in more flexible way so it seems
redundant to also have special boolean option for it.