Re: New email address

From: José Luis Tallón <jltallon(at)adv-solutions(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: New email address
Date: 2015-11-24 22:03:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/24/2015 07:55 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> [snip]
> The clearly critical thing, though, is that when forwarding a message from
> a person at a DMARC-using domain, we would have to replace the From: line
> with something @postgresql.org. This is what gets it out from under the
> original domain's DMARC policy.

One possibility that comes to mind:

- Remove the sender's DMARC headers+signature **after thoroughly
checking it** (to minimize the amount of UBE/UCE/junk going in)
- Replace the sender's (i.e. 'From:' header) with
list-sender+munched-email(at)postgresql(dot)org (VERP-ified address)

- Add the required headers, footers, change the subject line, etc

- DKIM-sign the resulting message with postgresql.org's keys before
sending it
> [snip]
>
> If Rudy's right that Gmail is likely to start using p=reject DMARC policy,
> we are going to have to do something about this before that; we have too
> many people on gmail. I'm not exactly in love with replacing From:
> headers but there may be little alternative. We could do something like
> From: Persons Real Name <nobody(at)postgresql(dot)org>
> so that at least the person's name would still be readable in MUA
> displays.
Yup

> We'd have to figure out whether we want the Reply-To: to be the original
> author or the list; as I recall, neither of those are fully satisfactory.
Or just strip it, though that trump the sender's explicit preference
(expressed by setting the header)

I might be able to help a bit with implementation if needed.

/ J.L.