Please consider removing "select count(*)..."

From: "Yurgis Baykshtis" <ybaykshtis(at)aurigin(dot)com>
To: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Please consider removing "select count(*)..."
Date: 2003-05-23 18:46:24
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

In both pgAdmin 2 and 3, whenever I click on a table node in the object
tree, for a table with relatively big number of rows, it's taking a very
long time to update the property panel (up to a few minutes with very
high CPU load by the postgres process) making practically impossible
usage of the tool.
The reason is in the "select count(*)" query pgAdmin use to get table
row count.
I am not sure whether there is another way to count table rows in
Postgres, but I see it does not like 'select count(*)' much for large
tables.

I just commented out this query for myself forcing row count field to be
always zero and it works just fine for me.