Re: State of support for back PG branches

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: State of support for back PG branches
Date: 2005-09-27 00:33:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[ Forgot to answer this part ]

Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org> writes:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I have a corporate need to keep supporting 7.3, at least to the extent
>> of critical bug fixes, because Red Hat is still on the hook to support
>> that version in RHEL3 for awhile longer.

> Doesn't Red Hat support RHEL 2.1, and so that PostgreSQL 7.1?

Yeah, but I'm not expecting any help from the community on that ;-).
(In practice it's hard to imagine any support request for which I'd
not tell the user to get off 7.1 anyway...)

7.3 is still reasonably supportable, ie, it's not so full of unfixable
problems. Nonetheless it's not clear that the PG development community
ought to be spending time on it. One way to phrase this discussion is
whether the community still wants to help me support 7.3/RHEL3. If
y'all feel you have better uses of your time, I understand completely.