Re: postgres.conf

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: jennifer llerena <jenniferllerena(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres.conf
Date: 2007-02-09 23:01:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- jennifer llerena <jenniferllerena(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi everyone
> I want to change the next values of max_connections, work_men, shared_buffers, and other
> parameters in postgres.conf.
>
> Is there a store procedure to achive this goal?

I am not sure what you mean by "stored procedure". Basically, (as I understand it) you have three
kinds of variable in the postgresql conf.

1) default variables that can be changed during server in run-time via the PSQL set command.
2) variables that can be changed with a SIGHUP (Signal Hang-Up) the server remains live and the
variables are refreshed from the postgresql.conf
3) variables that required the server to be completely restarted.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/runtime-config-resource.html

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.