Re: SlabCheck leaks memory into TopMemoryContext

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SlabCheck leaks memory into TopMemoryContext
Date: 2020-01-16 16:43:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> The attached fix should do the trick - it pre-allocates the space when
> creating the context. There is a bit of complexity because we want to
> allocate the space as part of the context header, but nothin too bad. We
> might optimize it a bit by using a regular bitmap (instead of just an
> array of bools), but I haven't done that.

Hmm ... so if this is an array of bools, why isn't it declared bool*
rather than char* ? (Pre-existing ugliness, sure, but we might as
well fix it while we're here. Especially since you used sizeof(bool)
in the space calculation.)

I agree that maxaligning the start point of the array is pointless.

I'd write "free chunks in a block" not "free chunks on a block",
the latter seems rather shaky English. But that's getting picky.

LGTM otherwise.