Re: Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc.

From: Amir Rohan <amir(dot)rohan(at)zoho(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc.
Date: 2015-10-10 12:04:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/10/2015 02:43 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 8:53 PM, Michael Paquier
>> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 8:47 PM, Amir Rohan wrote:
>>> Ok, I've put myself down as reviewer in cfapp. I don't think I can
>>> provide any more useful feedback that would actually result in changes
>>> at this point, but I'll read through the entire discussion once last
>>> time and write down final comments/notes. After that I have no problem
>>> marking this for a committer to look at.
>>
>> OK. If you have any comments or remarks, please do not hesitate at all!
>
> So, to let everybody know the issue, Amir has reported me offlist a
> bug in one of the tests that can be reproduced more easily on a slow
> machine:

Yeah, I usually stick to the list for discussion, but I ran an earlier
version without issues and thought this might be a problem with my
system as I've changed things a bit this week.

Now that v9 fixes the probkem, here's a summary from going over the
entire thread one last time:

# Windows and TAP sets
Noah (2015-03) mentioned TAP doesn't work on windows, and hoped
this would include some work on that.

IIUC, the facilities and tests do run on windows, but focus was there
and not the preexisting TAP suite.

# Test coverage (in the future)
Andres wanted a test for xid/multixid wraparound which also raises
the question of the tests that will need to be written in the future.

The patch focuses on providing facilities, while providing new coverage
for several features. There should be a TODO list on the wiki (bug
tracker, actually), where the list of tests to be written can be managed.

Some were mentioned in the thread (multi/xid wraparound
hot_standby_feedback, max_standby_archive_delay and
max_standby_streaming_delay? recovery_target_action? some in your
original list?), but threads
are precisely where these things get lost in the cracks.

# Interactive use vs. TAP tests

Early on the goal was also to provide something for interactive use
in order to test scenarios. The shift has focused to the TAP tests
and some of the choices in the API reflect that. Interactive use
is possible, but wasn't a central requirement.

# Directory structure

I suggested keeping backup/log/PGDATA per instance, rejected.

# Parallel tests and port collisions

Lots about this. Final result is no port races are possible because
dedicated dirs are used per test, per instance. And because tcp
isn't used for connections on any platform (can you confirm that's
true on windows as well? I'm not familiar with sspi and what OSI
layer it lives on)

# Allow test to specify shutdown mode

Added

# decouple cleanup from node shutdown

Added (in latest patches?)

# Conveniences for test writing vs. running

My suggestions weren't picked up, but for one thing setting CLEANUP=0
in the lib (which means editing it...) can be useful for writers.

# blocking until server ready

pg_isready wrapper added.

# Multiple masters

back and forth, but supported in latest version.

That's it. I've ran the latest (v9) tests works and passed on my system
(fedora 64bit) and also under docker with --cpu-quota=10000, which
simulates a slow machine.

Michael, is there anything else to do here or shall I mark this for
committer review?

Regards,
Amir