Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kam Lasater <ckl(at)seekayel(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date: 2015-09-30 16:26:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/30/2015 07:44 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> I'm not trolling in any way. I'm just challenging you to back up your
> blanket assertions with evidence. For example, you're assertion that
> mailing lists are insufficient is simply stated and expected to be
> taken on faith: *How* is it insufficient and *what* do things like in
> the new world?

I am short on time today but I will take this specific one:

Mailing lists are great for discourse however they do not:

1. Provide easy access to archived information
Searching google isn't an answer it is a band-aid
2. Provide proper access to valid information
Ever get an answer, check the link, find out the solution references a
5 year old version of PostgreSQL and then find out the problem is fixed
in the 9.4 but not 9.3. You are running 9.3.
(an issue tracker could track this, easily)
3. Provide properly linked information across threads
My favourite is this:
SUBJECT: Help (was no longer wanting help)
Now nothing makes sense on the thread. It should be a new issue.
4. Using a recent submission as an example:
josh(at)idealist(dot)org just submitted 6 patches. They are all based
around making basebackups more useful (specifically pg_basebackup). This
is awesome, but he has created 6 different threads with different
discussions which will likely cause intercommunication between threads.

Using an issue tracker the first patch would be a parent issue and the
subsequent patches would be child issues (that whole dependency thing).
A single click would provide all the information required to correctly
determine what is going on with the series of interrelated patches. A
mailing list does not provide that.

I could go on for a long time with specific examples that our current
model does not serve.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ 503-667-4564