Re: Rework the way multixact truncations work

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rework the way multixact truncations work
Date: 2015-09-29 02:48:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/28/15 8:49 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> If at some point we back-patch this further, then it potentially
> becomes a live issue, but I would like to respectfully inquire what
> exactly you think making it a PANIC would accomplish? There are a lot
> of scary things about this patch, but the logic for deciding whether
> to perform a legacy truncation is solid as far as I know.

Maybe I'm confused, but I thought the whole purpose of this was to get
rid of the risk associated with that calculation in favor of explicit
truncation boundaries in the WAL log.

Even if that's not the case, ISTM that being big and in your face about
a potential data corruption bug is a good thing, as long as the DBA has
a way to "hit the snooze button".

Either way, I'm not going to make a fuss over it.

Just to make sure we're on the same page; Alvaro's original comment was: