Re: pg_rawdump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Roberto Mello <roberto(dot)mello(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_rawdump
Date: 2010-10-21 20:25:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Stephen R. van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> There are way too many scenarios where you'll have no hope of doing
>> any such manual recovery anyway.

> True. It's all a matter of statistics. Judging by the number of reports
> I find by googling net-history, I'd have to conclude that the proposed
> extra information would have helped more than half of them.

Uh, no, it would have helped whatever minuscule fraction of them had the
tools and the expertise to make use of the information. This should not
be confused with a magic fix-it button. If you've lost your system
catalogs you're facing a whole lot of work that will at best recover an
untrustworthy version of some of your data. Most of the data-loss
reports I've seen appeared to come from people who wouldn't be capable
of doing such recovery work even if better tools were available.