Re: Assert failure due to "drop schema pg_temp_3 cascade" for temporary tables and \d+ is not showing any info after drooping temp table schema

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mahendra Singh <mahi6run(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Assert failure due to "drop schema pg_temp_3 cascade" for temporary tables and \d+ is not showing any info after drooping temp table schema
Date: 2020-01-08 00:55:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> Okay, I am running out of arguments then, so attached is a patch to
> address things. I would also prefer if we keep the relation name in
> the log even if the namespace is missing.

A couple of thoughts:

* Please revert a052f6c as a separate commit specifically doing that,
so that when it comes time to make the release notes, it's clear that
a052f6c doesn't require documentation.

* I think the check on log_min_messages <= LOG is probably wrong, since
LOG sorts out of order for this purpose. Compare is_log_level_output()
in elog.c. I'd suggest not bothering with trying to optimize away the
get_namespace_name call here; we shouldn't be in this code path often
enough for performance to matter, and nobody ever cared about it before.

* I don't greatly like the notation
dropping orphan temp table \"%s.(null).%s\" ...
and I bet Robert won't either. Not sure offhand about a better
idea --- maybe
dropping orphan temp table \"%s\" with OID %u in database \"%s\"