Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-12 21:57:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/12/2017 03:39 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
>> Ctrl-D works almost everywhere. It takes 2 seconds...
>
> If it really took everyone 2 seconds, this question would not be as
> common as it is. ...

Some years ago, I took a job at a mostly-Unix shop, where the
default .profile supplied with every new account contained

stty eof ^Z

... apparently, a sysadmin had liked the DOS convention better than
the Unix one, and then made it the default for everybody. It often
took people more than 2 seconds to learn to use ^Z where they
expected ^D to work (not to mention to learn why they couldn't
suspend).

I guess I only mention that to reinforce the point that some
environments have customizations you wouldn't expect, and assumptions
about how obvious something is can be thrown off by a variety of things.

-Chap