Re: cache type info in json_agg and friends

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cache type info in json_agg and friends
Date: 2015-09-14 19:42:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Currently, json_agg, jsonb_agg, json_object_agg and jsonb_object_agg do
> type classification on their arguments on each call to the transition
> function. This is quite unnecessary, as the argument types won't change.
> This patch remedies the defect by caching the necessary values in the
> aggregate state object.
+1

> While this doesn't change the performance much, since these functions
> are essentially dominated by other bits of the processing, I think it is
> nevertheless worth doing.
Agree

After quick observation of your patch, why don't you use FmgrInfo
instead of JsonAggState.val_output_func/JsonAggState.key_category?
FmgrInfo could be filled by fmgr_info_cxt() in aggcontext memory
context. Suppose, direct usage of FmgrInfo with FunctionCall a bit
faster than OidFunctionCall.
WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/