Re: WIP: Rework access method interface

From: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP: Rework access method interface
Date: 2015-09-07 18:17:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2015-09-04 16:26, Alexander Korotkov wrote:

> Attached patch is implementing this. It doesn't pretend to be fully
> correct implementation, but it should be enough for proof the concept.
> In this patch access method exposes another function: amvalidate. It
> takes data structure representing opclass and throws error if it finds
> it invalid.
> This method is used on new opclass definition (alter operator family
> etc. are not yet implemented but planned). Also, there is SQL function
> validate_opclass(oid) which is used in regression tests.
> Any thoughts?

This is starting to look good.

However I don't like the naming differences between validate_opclass and
amvalidate. If you expect that the current amvalidate will only be used
for opclass validation then it should be renamed accordingly.

Also GetIndexAmRoutine should check the return type of the amhandler.