Re: jsonb array-style subscripting

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonb array-style subscripting
Date: 2015-08-17 19:12:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/17/15 12:57 PM, Dmitry Dolgov wrote:
> * is it interesting for the community?

We definitely need better ways to manipulate JSON.

> * is that a good idea to extend the `ArrayRef` for jsonb? If it's
> appropriate, probably we can rename it to `ArrayJsonbRef` of something.
> * what can be improved in the code at the top level (function placement,
> probably, functionality duplication, etc.)?
> * are there any special cases, that I should take care of in this
> implementation?

How would this work when you have a JSON array? Postgres array syntax
suddenly becoming key/value syntax for JSON seems like a pretty bad idea
to me. Could a different syntax (maybe {}) be used instead?

I'm not sure having the UPDATE you show cause objects to spring to life
is so great either.