Error message with plpgsql CONTINUE

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Error message with plpgsql CONTINUE
Date: 2015-08-17 04:19:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Calling CONTINUE with a label that's not a loop produces an error
message with no context info [1]. This is because of

rc = exec_stmt_block(&estate, func->action);
if (rc != PLPGSQL_RC_RETURN)
{
estate.err_stmt = NULL;
estate.err_text = NULL;

I trawled through git blame a bit and it looks like it's been that way
for a very long time.

I think err_stmt should probably only be reset in the non-return case a
bit below that. I'm not sure about err_text though. Also, the code
treats PLPGSQL_RC_OK and PLPGSQL_RC_EXIT the same, which seems like a
bug; I would think PLPGSQL_RC_EXIT should be handled the same way as
CONTINUE.

If someone can confirm this and tell me what to do about err_text I'll
submit a patch.

[1]
decibel(at)decina(dot)attlocal/50703=# do $$
begin
<<outer>>
for a in 1..3 loop
<<sub>>
BEGIN
<<inner>>
for b in 8..9 loop
if a=2 then
continue sub;
end if;
raise notice '% %', a, b;
end loop inner;
END sub;
end loop outer;
end;
$$;
NOTICE: 1 8
NOTICE: 1 9
ERROR: CONTINUE cannot be used outside a loop
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function inline_code_block
decibel(at)decina(dot)attlocal/50703=#

[2]
https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/83604cc42353b6c0de2a3f3ac31f94759a9326ae/src/pl/plpgsql/src/pl_exec.c#L438