Re: Sync replication + high latency server

From: Martín Marqués <martin(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Edson Richter <edsonrichter(at)hotmail(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sync replication + high latency server
Date: 2015-08-14 00:22:41
Lists: pgsql-general

El 13/08/15 a las 11:41, Edson Richter escribió:

> Em 13/08/2015 00:40, Joshua D. Drake escreveu:
>>
>> On 08/12/2015 05:33 PM, Edson Richter wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I've a situation where I would like to keep sync replication, where
>>> servers have 10Mbps network connection but high latency (normally, ~20ms
>>> but sometimes, 1000ms~2000ms, even 3000ms when network is under load).
>>>
>>> Considering that I will keep enough WAL files (let's say, 200 WAL
>>> segments on a server with low write rate):
>>>
>>> What happens if I configure timeout in master server for, let's say, 10
>>> seconds?
>>> Will sync replication survive if timeout happens, and then, network
>>> "recover" it self?
>>
>> I think you are misunderstanding how sync rep works.
>
> I don't think so: sync replication will force commit on both databases
> before returning OK to my app server.

So, you are ok with your app waiting more than 3s (actually 3s + the
actual commit time from both servers) to commit?

This doesn't seem acceptable.

>>> Or will I be obligated to use async replication in such scenario?
>>>

>> async is your friend here.
>
> And what about the timeout when using sync replication? What will happen?

There isn't any replication timeout GUC.

If your sync replica fails, your transactions will get stalled waiting
for the transaction to get committed on one of the sync replicas.

Do you get the idea (or actually the problem behind your design)?

--
Martín Marqués http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/