Re: patch : Allow toast tables to be moved to a different tablespace

From: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Julien Tachoires <julmon(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alex Shulgin <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch : Allow toast tables to be moved to a different tablespace
Date: 2015-08-03 00:35:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07/15/2015 09:30 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:
>>>

>>> It's not that hard to imagine a performance benefit though? If the
>>> toasted column is accessed infrequently/just after filtering on other
>>> columns (not uncommon) it could very well be beneficial to put the main
>>> table on fast storage (SSD) and the toast table on slow storage
>>> (spinning rust).
>>>
>>> I've seen humoungous toast tables that are barely ever read for tables
>>> that are constantly a couple times in the field.
>>
>> +1. I know of one case where the heap was ~8GB and TOAST was over 400GB.
>
> Yeah, I think that's a good argument for this. I have to admit that
> I'm a bit fatigued by this thread - it started out as a "learn
> PostgreSQL" project, and we iterated through a few design problems
> that made me kind of worried about what sort of state the patch was in
> - and now this patch is more than 4 years old. But if some committer
> still has the energy to go through it in detail and make sure that all
> of the problems have been fixed and that the patch is, as Andreas
> says, in good shape, then I don't see why we shouldn't take it.

I personally think the patch is in a decent shape, and a worthwhile
feature. I agree though with Tom's objections about the pg_dump code.

I do not have enough time or interest right now to fix up this patch
(this is not a feature I personally have a lot of interest in), but if
someone else wishes to I do not think it would be too much work.

Andreas