Re: Speakers Wanted for pgDay Cuba

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Speakers Wanted for pgDay Cuba
Date: 2015-07-25 18:32:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On 07/25/2015 11:22 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 07/25/2015 12:01 AM, Charles Clavadetscher wrote:
>> Hi Josh
>>
>>> We are looking for one or more PostgreSQL contributors to travel to
>>> Havana, Cuba, to present at the second pgDay Cuba. In order to
>>> encourage this young community, we will be funding[1] up to $3000 in
>>> total travel funds for one or two speakers.
>>
>> Strictly speaking, I am not a contributor (yet). I already planned to be
>> in La Habana in October and fortunately the financial aspect is already
>> solved through a mix of company and private funds.
>
> Good, because the US funds restictions are cumbersome. Are you speaking?
>
>>> IMPORTANT: if you travel to Cuba on SPI funds, there will be significant
>>> restrictions on your travel due to US regulations regarding Cuba. These
>>> apply even if you are not a US Citizen.
>>
>> This month on the 20th, Cuba and the US reinitiated diplomatic
>> relationships. Do the restrictions still apply? Or more in general what
>> restrictions are imposed on a scholar giving a lecture in Cuba?

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2015/07/244623.htm

Also
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/cuba.html

Click on Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

General & Specific Licenses for Travel:

> These are specific to the US. Just because diplomatic relations are
> resumed doesn't mean all restrictions are lifted.
>
>> I am asking out of curiosity, because the idea sounds quite bizarre in
>> my ears.
>
> It's US international relations. If you expect it to make sense, you'll
> hurt your brain.

It is international relations in general.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com