Re: Speakers Wanted for pgDay Cuba

From: Charles Clavadetscher <clavadetscher(at)swisspug(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Speakers Wanted for pgDay Cuba
Date: 2015-07-25 07:01:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Hi Josh

> We are looking for one or more PostgreSQL contributors to travel to
> Havana, Cuba, to present at the second pgDay Cuba. In order to
> encourage this young community, we will be funding[1] up to $3000 in
> total travel funds for one or two speakers.

Strictly speaking, I am not a contributor (yet). I already planned to be
in La Habana in October and fortunately the financial aspect is already
solved through a mix of company and private funds.

In any case I find the initiative great and hope it may help someone.

> IMPORTANT: if you travel to Cuba on SPI funds, there will be significant
> restrictions on your travel due to US regulations regarding Cuba. These
> apply even if you are not a US Citizen.

This month on the 20th, Cuba and the US reinitiated diplomatic
relationships. Do the restrictions still apply? Or more in general what
restrictions are imposed on a scholar giving a lecture in Cuba?

I am asking out of curiosity, because the idea sounds quite bizarre in
my ears. I am aware that the economic embargo is still in place and I
heard about restrictions in commercial or security/military related
areas, but somehow I don't get the point how this is related to a
community developing an open source database.

Thank you and bye
Charles