Revoke [admin option for] role

From: Egor Rogov <e(dot)rogov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Revoke [admin option for] role
Date: 2015-07-22 16:17:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,
I found an inconsistency between documentation and real behavior of
REVOKE [ADMIN OPTION FOR] ROLE.

As per documentation
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-revoke.html):

--
If GRANT OPTION FOR is specified, only the grant option for the
privilege is revoked, not the privilege itself. Otherwise, both the

So, revoking membership in a role (or admin option for a role) should
revoke dependent memberships too. In fact it does not.

Here is a script to reproduce the issue:

\c - postgres
create user r1;
create user r2;
create role g;
grant g to r1 with admin option;
\c - r1
grant g to r2 with admin option;
\c - postgres
revoke g from r1 cascade;

I check membership with the following query:
select
(select rolname from pg_roles where oid=am.roleid) "role",
(select rolname from pg_roles where oid=am.member) member,
(select rolname from pg_roles where oid=am.grantor) grantor,
am.admin_option
from pg_auth_members am;

Before REVOKE it shows 2 records (which is correct):

role|g
member|r1
grantor|postgres
admin_option|t

role|g
member|r2
grantor|r1
admin_option|t

After revoke it shows 1 record:

role|g
member|r2
grantor|r1
admin_option|t

No records are expected according to documentation.

I looked into the code too (backend/commands/user.c,
GrantRole(GrantRoleStmt *stmt) function) and didn't find any processing
of stmt->behavior.

So, the question: is it a documentation bug (as it seems to me), code
bug, or I missed something?

Thanks,
Egor.