Re: PATCH:do not set Win32 server-side socket buffer size on windows 2012

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: chenhj <chjischj(at)163(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH:do not set Win32 server-side socket buffer size on windows 2012
Date: 2015-07-06 13:14:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07/04/2015 02:03 PM, chenhj wrote:
> 2015-07-03 16:49:44,"David Rowley" <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering what the original test setup was. I'm assuming psql
>> and postgres both running on separate windows machines?
>
>> I've tested the patch just connecting to a database running on
>> localhost and I'm not getting much of a speedup. Perhaps 1%, if
>> that's not noise. I don't have enough hardware here to have client
>> and server on separate machines, at least not with a stable network
>> that goes through copper.
>
> My original test environments is as the following
>
> Environment1:
> Server:Windows 2012(x64)
> The host is a VM in a private cloud
> Client:RHEL6(x64)
> The host is another VM in the same private cloud
> Network:1Gbit LAN
>

> Environment2:
> Server:Windows 2012(x64)
> The host is a VM in a private cloud
> Client:Windows 7(x64)
> The host is a physical machine(in fact it is My PC).
> Network:1Gbit LAN
>

> This Patch should only can speedup the environment which satisfy the following conditions.
> 1. The OS of the server is Windows 2012 or Win8(but i only tested it in Windows 2012).
> 2. The client and the server is separate machines.
> 3. The performance bottleneck is network throughput.
> 4. The utilization rate of network bandwidth is not full(such as only 50% or lower).

I was able to reproduce huge gains from this, after I introduced an
artificial latency to all network packets with:

tc qdisc add dev eth2 root netem delay 100ms

With that, and with the client on different host so that the traffic
goes through that high-latency network, I saw over 10x difference with
the same psql test you ran.

Committed, thanks!

- Heikki