Re: Add checksums without --initdb

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add checksums without --initdb
Date: 2015-07-02 19:45:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07/02/2015 12:39 PM, David Christensen wrote:
> So on #postgresql, I was musing about methods of getting checksums enabled/disabled without requiring a separate initdb step and minimizing the downtime required to get such functionality enabled.

Funny, I was thinking just yesterday about how nobody is using checksums
because of the dump/reload requirement. And that OS packagers aren't
packaging PostgreSQL with checksums in the initial initdb because of the
upgrade barrier.

I'm not so sure about your solution, but it seems like we need *something*.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.