Re: partitioned tables and contrib/sepgsql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Mike Palmiotto <mike(dot)palmiotto(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: partitioned tables and contrib/sepgsql
Date: 2017-04-05 13:43:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I argued before that we should migrate to stdbool.h by default, because
> it's only going to get more common. We already do so in a way for c++
> compilers...

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. The core problem though is that
we need the "bool" fields in the system catalog structs (or anyplace
else that it represents an on-disk bool datum) to be understood as
being 1 byte wide. I do not think we can assume that that's true of
every compiler's _Bool type. So we'd need some workaround for that.
There are probably other places such as isnull arrays where it'd be
wise to force the width to be 1 byte.

In any case, that's a research project that's not getting done for v10.