Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2
Date: 2015-07-01 14:55:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/26/15 1:12 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> If we're going to do quorum, multi-set synchrep, then we need to have a
> real management interface. Like, we really ought to have a system
> catalog and some built in functions to manage this instead, e.g.
>
> pg_add_synch_set(set_name NAME, quorum INT, set_members VARIADIC)
>
> pg_add_synch_set('bolivia', 1, 'bsrv-2,'bsrv-3','bsrv-5')
>
> pg_modify_sync_set(quorum INT, set_members VARIADIC)
>
> pg_drop_synch_set(set_name NAME)

I respect that some people might like this, but I don't really see this
as an improvement. It's much easier for an administration person or
program to type out a list of standbys in a text file than having to go
through these interfaces that are non-idempotent, verbose, and only
available when the database server is up. The nice thing about a plain
and simple system is that you can build a complicated system on top of
it, if desired.