Re: [PROPOSAL] VACUUM Progress Checker.

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] VACUUM Progress Checker.
Date: 2015-06-30 08:44:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2015-06-30 PM 04:37, Rahila Syed wrote:

> Design:
>
> A shared preload library to store progress information from different
> backends running VACUUM, calculate remaining time for each and display
> progress in the
> in the form a view.
>

> [...]
>
> Reporting :
>
> A view named 'pg_maintenance_progress' can be created using the values in
> the struct above.
>
> pg_stat_maintenance can be called from any other backend and will display
> progress of

+1

Just to clarify, the attached patch does not implement the view or the shared
memory initialization part yet, right? I understand your intention to get
comments on proposed hooks and shared memory structure(s) at this point. By
the way, how does a regular send stats to background stats collector approach
compares to the proposed hooks+shmem approach?

Thanks,
Amit