Re: Oracle Style packages on postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: rmm(at)sqlisor(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle Style packages on postgres
Date: 2005-05-09 19:24:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Yes, actually. If you look at the discussion, this is what killed the 2001
> proposal; packages were proposed as orthagonal to schema which was not
> acceptable.

I think what actually killed that proposal was that it was not made
clear what it did that wouldn't be done as well (and in a more standard
fashion) by providing schemas.

What I read in this thread is that the only truly missing feature is
package variables (ie, session-local variables); is that an accurate
statement? If so, it would seem simplest to add such a feature to
plpgsql and be done with it. Several people already pointed out that
most of the other PLs support that feature today.