Re: pgbench - implement strict TPC-B benchmark

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench - implement strict TPC-B benchmark
Date: 2019-07-30 22:00:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
> [ pgbench-strict-tpcb-2.patch ]

TBH, I think we should reject this patch. Nobody cares about TPC-B
anymore, and they care even less about differences between one
sort-of-TPC-B test and another sort-of-TPC-B test. (As the lack
of response on this thread shows.) We don't need this kind of
baggage in pgbench; it's got too many "features" already.

I'm also highly dubious about labeling this script "standard TPC-B",
when it resolves only some of the reasons why our traditional script
is not really TPC-B. That's treading on being false advertising.