Re: Check before insert

From: Robert Perry <rlperry(at)lodestonetechnologies(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Check before insert
Date: 2005-03-15 21:51:20
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Firstly if it is important to only insert unique rows then I recommend
using a unique constraint. Creating a primary key will also accomplish
this. I do this even if I am going to be writing software to only
insert unique data. (I that way if I mess up I find out about it) I
imagine that sooner or later you will be wanting to join other tables
with this one or at least find records out of a long list of these
things, so you will be needing an index anyway. A unique constraint or
primary key will create one for you automatically, just because they
each (unique constraints and primary keys) need an index to find the
record in a timely manor.

Secondly, no I do not know of a single command that will do this. If
performance is important I would write a stored proc to check to see if
it exists and inserts it if it does not.

Note: After you do these do these I would be sure to call analyze
after a few thousand records have been inserted, otherwise performance
will probably go down hill fast.

on second thought, I guess something like

Insert (protein_id, name)
select 'P04667', 'Albumin'
where
not exists(select * from protein_table_name where protein_id =
'P04667')

might meet your needs too. (Note: I assumed that protein_id was what
you wanted to keep unique....you can keep either or both unique)

I would still put it in a stored proc. (I like stored procs)