Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-core <pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release
Date: 2015-06-04 09:27:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/04/2015 12:17 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2015-06-04 11:51:44 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> So, I'm all for refactoring and adding abstractions where it makes sense,
>> but it's not going to solve design problems.
>
> I personally don't really see the multixact changes being that bad on
> the overall design. It pretty much just extended an earlier design. Now
> that wasn't great, but I don't think too many people had realized that
> at that point. The biggest problem was underestimating the complexity.

Yeah, many of the issues were pre-existing, and would've been good to
fix anyway.

The multixact issues remind me of the another similar thing we did: the
visibility map. It too was non-critical when it was first introduced,
but later we started using it for index-only-scans, and it suddenly
became important that it's up-to-date and crash-safe. We did uncover
some bugs in that area when index-only-scans were introduced, similar to
the multixact bugs, only not as bad because it didn't lead to data loss.
I don't have any point to make with that comparison, but it was similar
in many ways.

- Heikki