Re: Missing importing option of postgres_fdw

From: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Missing importing option of postgres_fdw
Date: 2015-05-18 08:03:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2015/05/16 3:32, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 6:37 AM, Etsuro Fujita
> <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>> On second thought, I noticed that as for this option, we cannot live without
>> allowing IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA to return ALTER FOREIGN TABLE statements
>> because we cannot declare the convalidated information in the CREATE FOREIGN
>> TABLE statement. So, I think we shoould also allow it to return ALTER
>> FOREIGN TABLE statements. Am I right?
>
> Isn't convalidated utterly meaningless for constraints on foreign tables?

Let me explain. I think that convalidated would be *essential* for
accurately performing relation_excluded_by_constraints for foreign
tables like plain tables; if we didn't have that information, I think we
would fail to accurately detect whether foreign tables need not be scanned.

BTW, I don't know if it's a good idea to import connoinherit from the
remote and then reflect that information on the local.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita