Re: error while starting database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nitin Saxena" <nitinmca05(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: error while starting database
Date: 2007-08-17 15:04:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Nitin Saxena" <nitinmca05(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I am using postgres 7.0 on linux platform.

Egad. At first I thought that was a typo, but if psql really spelled
its error message just like that, it must indeed be 7.0 or older :-(.
Do yourself a favor and get onto a newer version, NOW. Not tomorrow.
There are hundreds if not thousands of known bugs in 7.0 that are fixed
in more modern versions. Some of them *will* destroy your data.

As for getting out of the immediate problem, it looks like there is
something wrong with the directory that PG wants to put its socket file
into. Perhaps /tmp is not there or not world writable?