Re: Sequence Access Method WIP

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sequence Access Method WIP
Date: 2015-05-13 12:15:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/13/2015 02:12 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> This has had around 2 years of thought at this point. I don't agree it
> needs more thought.

Noted.

> There is one clear use case for this and it is of benefit to many
> distributed architectures.

Right. What's your point?

> I don't see what calamity will occur if we commit this. If you don't want a
> sequence AM, don't ever use this.

I'd like the API to be good for its purpose. Also, I did mention that
the the current patch makes the situation slightly worse for people who
never use this: it makes the log_cnt field non human-readable. That's a
really minor thing, but it shows that it *does* matter how this is
implemented, even if you only ever use the local seq AM.

- Heikki