Re: Multi-xacts and our process problem

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi-xacts and our process problem
Date: 2015-05-12 01:21:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/11/2015 04:18 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 11 May 2015 at 23:47, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us
> <mailto:bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 03:42:26PM -0700, Joshua Drake wrote:
> > >The releases themselves are not the problem, but rather the volume of
> > >bugs and our slowness in getting additional people involved to remove
> > >data corruption bugs more quickly and systematically. Our reputation
> > >for reliability has been harmed by this inactivity.
> > >

> > What I am arguing is that the release cycle is at least a big part
> > of the problem. We are trying to get so many new features that bugs
> > are increasing and quality is decreasing.
>
> Now that is an interesting observation --- are we too focused on patches
> and features to realize when we need to seriously revisit an issue?
>

> I think we are unused to bugs. We have a much lower bug rate than any
> other system.

True we are used to having extremely high quality releases but if you
look at the release notes since say 9.2, we are seeing a much larger
increase in bug rates.

It is true that generally speaking our bug rate is low in comparison to
other databases. That said, I think we are also resting on some laurels
here per my previous paragraph.

> I think we seriously need to review our policy of adding major new
> features and have them enabled by default with no parameter to disable
> them. In the early years of PostgreSQL everything had an off switch,
> e.g. stats, bgwriter and even autovacuum defaulted to off for many years.

That's interesting although I am unsure of the cost of such a thing.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ 503-667-4564