Re: Multi-xacts and our process problem

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi-xacts and our process problem
Date: 2015-05-11 22:42:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/11/2015 02:15 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 02:11:48PM -0700, Joshua Drake wrote:
>>

>> Here are some options
>>
>> Slow down the release cycle
>> The shortness of the release cycle puts a preference on adding
>> features versus providing a more mature outcome.
>>
>> or
>>
>> Increase the release cycle
>> Moving to a Ubuntu style release cycle would allow us to have a
>> window to scratch the itch but with the eventual (and known) release
>> of something that is LTS.
>
> The releases themselves are not the problem, but rather the volume of
> bugs and our slowness in getting additional people involved to remove
> data corruption bugs more quickly and systematically. Our reputation
> for reliability has been harmed by this inactivity.

What I am arguing is that the release cycle is at least a big part of
the problem. We are trying to get so many new features that bugs are
increasing and quality is decreasing.

If we change the release cycle it will encourage an increase in eyeballs
on code we are developing because people aren't going to be in such a
rush to "get this feature done for this release".

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ 503-667-4564