Re: Auditing extension for PostgreSQL (Take 2)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Auditing extension for PostgreSQL (Take 2)
Date: 2015-05-07 20:42:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/7/15 10:26 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Auditing is about "what happened" whereas
> statement logging is "log whatever statement the user sent." pgAudit
> bears this out by logging internal SQL statements and object
> information, unlike what we do with statement logging today.

I don't think this is quite correct. For example,
log_min_duration_statement logs based on what happened. log_duration
records what happened. log_checkpoints records what happened.
log_statement also requires parsing before deciding whether to log.

Generally, "logging" is "what happened". The stuff in syslog is what
happened on the system.