Re: docs: note ownership requirement for refreshing materialized views

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
To: Dian Fay <dian(dot)m(dot)fay(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: docs: note ownership requirement for refreshing materialized views
Date: 2018-08-16 01:06:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Dian,

> On Aug 15, 2018, at 7:46 PM, Dian Fay <dian(dot)m(dot)fay(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> hi all! I discovered today that the REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW documentation doesn't mention that only the owner (or a superuser) may actually perform the refresh operation. This patch adds a note to that effect.

I played around with this feature a bit and did see this was the case.
Also while playing around I noticed the error message was as such:

test=> REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW blah;
ERROR: must be owner of relation blah

But it’s not a relation, it’s a materialized view. I attached a patch
that I think should fix this. Kudos to Dave Cramer who was
sitting next to me helping me to locate files and confirm assumptions.

Jonathan

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-treat-refresh-mat-view-as-mat-view.patch application/octet-stream 957 bytes