ERROR: unexpected data beyond EOF

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ERROR: unexpected data beyond EOF
Date: 2015-04-30 17:05:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alright folks,

So I have this error:

postgres[21118]: [8-1] ERROR: unexpected data beyond EOF
in block 9 of relation base/430666195/430666206

Which produces this lovely hint:

postgres[21118]: [8-2] HINT: This has been seen to occur with buggy
kernels; consider updating your system.

However, the problem is, all relevant information we can find is
Linux/NFS based.

Now it is no secret that Pg does some weird things on NFS or Virtualized
volumes but I am not sure where to even start with this.

The system is:

FreeBSD 10
ZFS
iSCSI
RAID 50 (don't start, I didn't spec it).
fsync on, full_page_writes on

The restart of PostgreSQL makes the error go away and things progress
normally. We don't experience further errors etc...

Any thoughts on this?

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ 503-667-4564