Re: 8.3 beta timing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.3 beta timing
Date: 2007-09-30 14:43:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
>>> I think we need another week to get things ready for beta.
>>
>> Why? Other than the lack of release notes, we could wrap on Monday.

> OK, Monday is fine. It seemed to me there were was a lot of activity in
> recent days so I wasn't sure everything was nailed down but if others
> think we are OK, we must be OK then.

Well, the only stuff left on the pending-patches page is documentation
issues and the question of what to do about tsearch contrib modules;
neither of those seem to be beta-stoppers, especially not when we have
no commitment from Oleg and Teodor about when they might do something
towards the proposed new module.

I'm not happy with taking still another week's slip for no reason.
If there's some specific task that should be done and we have a
commitment from someone to get it done by a particular time, then
okay, but otherwise it's past time to push this puppy out the door.

> FYI, pgindent is usually run later in the beta process.

Right, that's traditionally a late-in-beta item.