Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT syntax issues

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT syntax issues
Date: 2015-04-27 20:19:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/25/15 2:05 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> Note that the syntax is quite similar to the SQLite
> syntax of the same feature, that has ON CONFLICT IGNORE (it also has
> ON CONFLICT REPLACE, but not ON CONFLICT UPDATE).

I don't know anything about SQLite's syntax, but from the online syntax
diagrams

https://www.sqlite.org/lang_insert.html
https://www.sqlite.org/syntax/conflict-clause.html

it appears that they are using quite a different syntax. The ON
CONFLICT clause is attached to a constraint, specifying the default
action for that constraint. The INSERT command can then override this
default choice. I think.