Re: Client deadlocks when connecting via ssl

From: "Peter J(dot) Farrell" <pfarrell(at)greatbiztools(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Client deadlocks when connecting via ssl
Date: 2015-04-24 23:08:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Amjith Ramanujam wrote on 10/08/2014 03:47 PM:
> I'm accessing Postgresql from Python using Psycopg2. I'm making
> multiple calls from threads and once every few times it causes the
> script to lock up and become unresponsive. This only happens if I'm
> also making HTTPS calls in addition to Postgres TCP calls with SSL.

Just wanted to add that we're seeing this libpq pq_lockingcallback bug
in our production web apps on Heroku using Gunicorn, New Relic and
Postgres on Heroku. We've relieved some of the symptoms by implementing
database connection pooling with high timeouts and switching from
Gunicorn to UWsgi so we are Harakiri rogue workers that are deadlocked.
Hoping this is fixed eventually...

Initial Background:
http://blog.maestropublishing.com/2015/01/12/gunicorn-dyno-death-spiral-on-heroku/

Discovery of Bug:
http://blog.maestropublishing.com/2015/01/16/gunicorn-dyno-death-spiral-on-heroku-part-ii/

--
Peter J. Farrell
Principal Technologist - GreatBizTools, LLC

* Learn about VSRE. I prioritize emails with VSRE in the subject! http://vsre.info/
* Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents. Send OpenDocument instead! http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/