Re: Split the 'Server Programming' chapter into two?

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Split the 'Server Programming' chapter into two?
Date: 2015-04-23 15:09:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/23/15 9:23 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>
>>> To me at least 44 - 47 don't really fit well to the rest. I think we
>>> either should invent a new category for them, or move them to
>>> 'Internals'. Maybe we could introduce 'Extending the Server' category
>>> for those and a couple more? Candidates for that least seem to be
>>> 52. Writing A Procedural Language Handler
>>> 53. Writing A Foreign Data Wrapper
>>> 54. Writing A Custom Scan Provider
>>
>> I like the "extending the server" idea. Maybe "Server Extensions".
>
> +1 for Extending the Server. I don't like Server Extensions too much;
> seems confusing with sql-level EXTENSION objects.

I definitely think it would be useful to split the C stuff out on it's
own. We could also stand to have more information there, especially
around things like fcinfo, but that's another topic...