Re: Sequence Access Method WIP

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Sequence Access Method WIP
Date: 2015-04-20 09:49:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/15/2015 09:07 PM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> Slightly updated version of the patch.
>
> Mainly rebased against current master (there were several conflicts) and
> fixed some typos, no real functional change.
>
> I also attached initial version of the API sgml doc.

Thanks!

With the patch, pg_class.relam column references to the pg_seqam table
for sequences, but pg_indexam for indexes. I believe it's the first
instance where we reuse a "foreign key" column like that. It's not a
real foreign key, of course - that wouldn't work with a real foreign key
at all - but it's a bit strange. That makes me a bit uncomfortable. How
do others feel about that?

- Heikki