Performance tuning assisted by a GUI application

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Performance tuning assisted by a GUI application
Date: 2015-04-16 13:42:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

(Please pardon me if this is offtopic and I should send it to another
mailing list instead)

I had a brief discussion on #postgresql and thought that perhaps there
might be a need for a tool that would enable a fine-tuning of PostgreSQL
performance settings by conveniently testing them with a sample SQL
query with the aid of a simple GUI application. To illustrate this, I
created this little proof of concept:

https://gist.github.com/d33tah/d01f3599e55e53d00f68

Screenshot can be found here: https://imgur.com/TguH6Xq

This is by far not even alpha quality here and would need some basic
Python knowledge to set up the connection string. This only supports
modifying cpu_tuple_cost right now, but I guess that you can extrapolate
where this would go.

What do you think? Would anybody be interested in an application like this?

Cheers,
Jacek Wielemborek