Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Move pg_upgrade from contrib/ to src/bin/

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PGBuildFarm <pgbuildfarm-members(at)pgfoundry(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Move pg_upgrade from contrib/ to src/bin/
Date: 2015-04-15 19:02:05
Lists: buildfarm-members pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 04/15/2015 12:23 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> OK, the fix is here: <https://github.com/PGBuildFarm/client-code/commit/47b24efa758360699413640dd14c4096e1643fb2>
>> and the new TestUpgrade.pm can be grabbed from here: <https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PGBuildFarm/client-code/47b24efa758360699413640dd14c4096e1643fb2/PGBuild/Modules/TestUpgrade.pm>
>>
>> It can just be dropped into place as a hot fix.
>>
>> We're overdue for a buildfarm client release, but this hot fix should get
>> things green again.
> There's no way we're going to have *everyone* install the hot fix right
> away, though, no? Or is people really that quick with updating BF
> scripts?
>
> If not, I think it'd be better to revert, get a buildfarm release out,
> then push the patch again in a week or so. In the meantime surely we
> can push other contrib move patches ...
>
> Regarding the buildfarm update, don't we need a patch for MSVC and
> src/test/modules? I remember you (Andrew) and Tom hot-patched
> run_build.pm to run those tests, but of course it doesn't work as a
> complete release because MSVC doesn't support it. It would be awesome
> to get BF patched for both those issues before the next release.

Yes, we do want support for testmodules. I think that needs to be built
into src/tools/msvc, probably in vcregress.pl. Once we have that the
buildfarm changes will be trivial. But if that's not forthcoming quickly
I can just avoid the step on msvc for now.

We've handled the buildfarm being red for a few days before. People are
usually good about applying fixes fairly quickly.

cheers

andrew