Re: pgsql: Don't archive bogus recycled or preallocated files after timelin

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Don't archive bogus recycled or preallocated files after timelin
Date: 2015-04-14 14:49:21
Lists: pgsql-committers

On 04/14/2015 05:32 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> writes:
>> On 04/14/2015 02:24 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Wait a minute. Didn't you just break PITR scenarios? The *entire point*
>>> of the multiple-timeline mechanism is that you can start a new WAL history
>>> from a point in the past without destroying WAL history after that point
>>> on the old timeline.
>
>> It deletes the files belonging to other timelines from pg_xlog only. The
>> WAL archive is not touched.
>
> How do we know those files are in the WAL archive?

Presumably that's where they came from if you're doing PITR. Or they
were copied into pg_xlog manually from somewhere else.

After PITR, if you decide that you didn't like the result and perform
another recovery, you have to restore from a base backup again, which
will wipe out pg_xlog anyway.

Also, if the recovery continued longer, those files would be deleted
from pg_xlog anyway, at a later restartpoint.

- Heikki