Re: TABLESAMPLE patch

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Subject: Re: TABLESAMPLE patch
Date: 2015-04-01 13:01:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/15/15 16:21, Petr Jelinek wrote:

> I also did all the other adjustments we talked about up-thread and
> rebased against current master (there was conflict with 31eae6028).

Hi,

I did a review of the version submitted on 03/15 today, and only found a
few minor issues:

1) The documentation of the pg_tablesample_method catalog is missing
documentation of the 'tsmpagemode' column, which was added later.

2) transformTableEntry() in parse_clause modifies the comment, in a way
that made sense before part of the code was moved to a separate
function. I suggest to revert the comment changes, and instead add
the comment to transformTableSampleEntry()

3) The "shared" parts of the block sampler in sampling.c (e.g. in
BlockSampler_Next) reference Vitter's algorithm (both the code and
comments) which is a bit awkward as the only part that uses it is
analyze.c. The other samplers using this code (system / bernoulli)
don't use Vitter's algorithm.

I don't think it's possible to separate this piece of code, though.
It simply has to be in there somewhere, so I'd recommend adding here
a simple comment explaining that it's needed because of analyze.c.

Otherwise I think the patch is OK. I'll wait for Petr to fix these
issues, and then mark it as ready for committer.

What do you think, Amit? (BTW you should probably add yourself as
reviewer in the CF app, as you've provided a lot of feedback here.)

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/