RPM meta package

From: Jeremiah Penery <jpenery(at)redskytech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RPM meta package
Date: 2015-03-31 16:06:01
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I have a package which previously depended on postgresql92-odbc, but I
would like to be able to upgrade that without explicitly changing the
dependency, for all future versions. Maybe something like "depends:
postgresql-odbc > 9".

The various postgresql-libs RPMs provide this - i.e., I can install
postgresql94-libs and it satisfies any dependency for postgresql-libs.
But the only RPM that satisfies the dependency for postgresql-odbc is an
old one:

> yum provides postgresql-odbc
postgresql-odbc-08.04.0200-1.el6.x86_64 : PostgreSQL ODBC driver
Repo : base

Is there some reason that postgresqlxx-odbc RPMs don't provide the
virtual package for postgresql-odbc, so that whatever version I have
installed will fulfill the dependency?

Thanks,
Jeremiah