Re: Bug #10432 failed to re-find parent key in index

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug #10432 failed to re-find parent key in index
Date: 2015-03-31 11:20:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/30/2015 09:57 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>> We have a database that has run into this problem. The version is 9.1.15 on
>> Linux. I note in this thread:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAM-w4HP34ppweGTCwjBZnWhQ0CmU-Lxna62vjKU8QRTWLOBuHw@mail.gmail.com
>>
>> That things appear to be fixed in 9.4 but they have not been back-patched?
>> What is the current status?
>
> I believe that Heikki said he'd backpatch that when 9.4 was considered
> very stable. I don't think that we've reached that level of confidence
> in the invasive B-Tree bugfixes that went into 9.4 yet.

I have no intention to backpatch the changes. Too big, too invasive.
Perhaps we could consider it after a year or two, once 9.4 is indeed
very stable, but at that point you have to wonder if it's really worth
the trouble anymore. If someone has runs into that issue frequently, he
probably should just upgrade to 9.4.

- Heikki