Re: Remove fsync ON/OFF as a visible option?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove fsync ON/OFF as a visible option?
Date: 2015-03-21 19:41:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/21/2015 12:32 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:

> What does ACID mean???
>
> I don't want to trip out on acid, and if I do, I don't want it hanging
> around. Safer to set this to off!!!
>

> I actual do know what ACID means, but some 'children' have write access
> to a the postgresql.conf file without adequate 'adult' supervision!

Some? I make my living babysitting, even some of our best clients have
some ruby on rails developer constantly saying, "Dude, like the DB
doesn't matter man... we can just (takes long sip of organic stock)
horizontally partition this stuff".

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ 503-667-4564
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc

Now I get it: your service is designed for a customer
base that grew up with Facebook, watches Japanese seizure
robot anime, and has the attention span of a gnat.
I'm not that user., "Tyler Riddle"